Saturday, February 9, 2013

Weekly Wayfinding: Alternative Mode of Transportation

I Can't Feel My Fingers: 2/4/13

My typical mode of transportation to get to campus is the bus (route 2). So for this challenge, I decided to walk. There are many benefits to walking, ranging from personal health to less cars on the road. It also allows me to experience street, or lack thereof, firsthand. While I am used to walking around campus, I rarely walk to campus, as it involves crossing the canyon that is [Interstate] 35W. But today, I decided to take the challenge.


I chose the absolute best day of the week to walk to campus. It was a balmy -22 degrees wind chill.
Luckily, my walk took me right by a Dunn Bros. Coffee break!
Not the most pedestrian friendly place to park your truck...
Would it not be for this challenge, I would be nice and warm on that bus.
I made it! Campus!
This was the first area design specifically for pedestrians. Everywhere else I walked was a car-centric designed corridor with a sidewalk alongside.
My favorite thing about walking is the view. Good morning, Minneapolis! I love how walk-able of a city you are!
Campus is much more pedestrian friendly. Wider sidewalks, less car traffic, and much more foot traffic.
Finally, home sweet home. By this point, I had lost all feeling in my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment